The Wednesday Word 10.05.2022

 

Luke 18:9-14  New Living Translation

“9 Then Jesus told this story to some who had great confidence in their own righteousness and scorned everyone else: 10 “Two men went to the Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a despised tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayer: ‘I thank you, God, that I am not like other people—cheaters, sinners, adulterers. I’m certainly not like that tax collector! 12 I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income.’ 13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance and dared not even lift his eyes to heaven as he prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in sorrow, saying, ‘O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner.’ 14 I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified before God. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

The first pastor I studied with as an adult instilled in me a love for the writings of C.S. Lewis (thank you, Randy). Through his books, I began to see the Kingdom life intended for us from an entirely different perspective. Because he was an adult when he came to know God, much as I was learning more about God later in life, I connected because Lewis writes so frankly about his journey. My particular favorite Mere Christianity was written during World War II based on a series of talks he gave on BBC radio. So many parts of it shook me then and stick with me to this day. In Chapter 8, entitled “The Great Sin,” Lewis thoroughly discusses the sin of pride. He is not describing being proud of your school or your team or your country; as long as these feelings don’t bear with them an inflated ego or claim to superiority. He says it isn’t taking pleasure in being praised as long as you don’t become vain; or believe you are a better, more worthwhile person because you have pleased others. We all need a sense of accomplishment, as long as we know who is helping us. It is becoming too big for your britches. We can never lose sight of who made those britches possible! Lewis doesn’t think those who claim to be humble really get it. If you have to toot your own horn (even if done privately), you have a lot more work to do.

In this parable, everyone expects the Pharisee to be a superior human being on account of his dutiful behavior. Of course, the hated tax collector would be judged a vile person. It is not only our actions that matter. It is our hearts. Here is the most amazing news: God knows both men are broken sinners. Only one of them realizes it.

God knows we are all sinners. We all fall short of the perfection he had in mind when he created us. Every single one of us. God knows that about us, even if we have trouble admitting it. That is the most stunning, liberating and amazing lesson to be learned. It isn’t only me! I am not the only secretly broken one! God still loves you and me, as broken as we are. He wants something more for us. We are all struggling to be more than we are today. The difference is whether the struggle is to be more like Jesus or more like some version of a human measured by our society’s standards. Let God help you…something to pray about.

Don’t forget to look for the Lord today. Vicki H.

                                                                                        photyo by Hal Gatewood

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wednesday Word 10.06.2021

The Wednesday Word 4.12.2023

The Wednesday Word 8.30.2023