The Wednesday Word 4.20.2022

 

John 20:1-10 NLT

“Early on Sunday morning, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene came to the tomb and found that the stone had been rolled away from the entrance. 2 She ran and found Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one whom Jesus loved. She said, “They have taken the Lord’s body out of the tomb, and we don’t know where they have put him!” 3 Peter and the other disciple started out for the tomb. 4 They were both running, but the other disciple outran Peter and reached the tomb first. 5 He stooped and looked in and saw the linen wrappings lying there, but he didn’t go in. 6 Then Simon Peter arrived and went inside. He also noticed the linen wrappings lying there, 7 while the cloth that had covered Jesus’ head was folded up and lying apart from the other wrappings. 8 Then the disciple who had reached the tomb first also went in, and he saw and believed— 9 for until then they still hadn’t understood the Scriptures that said Jesus must rise from the dead. 10 Then they went home.”

Sometimes I have to remind myself that the followers of Jesus were very ordinary people, just like you and me. When I read these accounts, I try to imagine how I would react and what emotions I would feel if I were in their place. Thinking of the Scriptures from this different point of view has given me a personal perspective that I never had before. It gives me a new connection. It began years ago when a group of us went to see “The Passion of the Christ.” It was horrendous to watch, but I grasped the human side of Jesus as never before. Watching the first season of “The Chosen” gave me a new way of looking at the Disciples. No matter how many centuries separate us, these people had their issues and their problems, just as we do today. Scriptures tell us how these everyday people responded to their experience of Jesus. If I realize that I have something in common with them, I can begin to examine my own behavior more closely.

Coming to terms with the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, his Resurrection and what that means will be a lifelong process. The more I learn, the bigger the impact becomes. The bigger the love becomes. What remains to be seen is how I am going to respond to God’s overwhelming mercy…something to pray about.

Don’t forget to look for the Lord today. Vicki H.

                                                                                          photo by Pisit Heng

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wednesday Word 4.12.2023

The Wednesday Word 10.06.2021

Wednesday Word 5.26.2021