The Wednesday Word 11.03.2021

 

Matthew 11:28 New Living Translation

Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.”

This oft quoted verse brings comfort by our way of thinking. We are invited to take all our burdens and leave them at Jesus’ feet. But if we look at this passage a little closer, it may start to look a little different. Jesus doesn’t say that he will resolve all your troubles. Jesus doesn’t say he will make them all go away. I always think of that old song “I Never Promised You a Rose Garden.”

If we turn to Jesus, he promises to give us a break. Jesus will give you rest. Just like a good night’s sleep after a day of hard work, he can recharge your battery and energize your spirit. Throughout all your trials. Jesus will be the refuge that will always be there for you. What follows in this passage tells us how. In Matthew 11:29-30, Jesus says, “Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.


For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” If we follow the teachings of Jesus, adopt a gentle and humble heart, we will find his rest and gain a kind of inner balance that will help us in all situations throughout this life…something to pray about.

Don’t forget to look for the Lord today. Vicki H.

                                                                                                                   photo by Jessica Delp                                                                                                               


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wednesday Word 10.06.2021

The Wednesday Word 4.12.2023

Wednesday Word 5.26.2021