The Wednesday Word 11.23.2022

 

Psalm 20 NLT

“For the choir director: A psalm of David.

1 In times of trouble, may the Lord answer your cry. May the name of the God of Jacob keep you safe from all harm. 2 May he send you help from his sanctuary and strengthen you from Jerusalem. 3 May he remember all your gifts and look favorably on your burnt offerings. 4 May he grant your heart’s desires and make all your plans succeed. 5 May we shout for joy when we hear of your victory and raise a victory banner in the name of our God. May the Lord answer all your prayers. 6 Now I know that the Lord rescues his anointed king. He will answer him from his holy heaven and rescue him by his great power. 7 Some nations boast of their chariots and horses, but we boast in the name of the Lord our God. 8 Those nations will fall down and collapse, but we will rise up and stand firm. 9 Give victory to our king, O Lord! Answer our cry for help.”

This week our calendar reminds us to be grateful. A whole segment of the publishing industry focuses on the concept with essays and how-tos and gratitude journals to teach us about thankful living. We have had biblical lessons long before these. Rafael Bastien-Herrera, of The Word Walk Ministries, states that thanksgiving or gratitude is referenced 102 times in the Old Testament and 71 times in the New Testament. Still, we need to be reminded.

The realization that a gift has more value than the item itself dawned on me a long, long time ago. I have to tell you, I was terribly spoiled as a child. I was an only until aged nine and I just assumed that having all my needs and heart’s desires met was standard procedure in everyone’s life. By the time I was in grade school, I became aware that not everyone shared my experience. Nevertheless, it was junior high before I realized my dad’s favorite menu item really wasn’t chicken. That was his typical economical selection so that I might order the steak. My mother shopped the clearance racks, but I got the full priced outfits. I began to see that these gifts were extravagant expressions of their love. It sprang from their generosity, not my merits. I began to experience and understand feelings of gratitude.

God’s love for us is much the same. It springs from his extravagant generosity. It is certainly not relative to our merits. I am so glad that my parents’ love taught me to clearly see things for which to be grateful. When you step back and begin to examine your everyday, you may be surprised to find the blessings we all take for granted. Especially the big one. We are loved. Thank you, God…something to pray about.

Don’t forget to look for the Lord today. Vicki H.


                                                                                                    photo by Priscilla DuPreez

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wednesday Word 10.06.2021

The Wednesday Word 4.12.2023

Wednesday Word 5.26.2021