The Wednesday Word 5.04.2022

 

Psalms 51:1-2, 10-13

1 Have mercy on me, O God, because of your unfailing love.

Because of your great compassion, blot out the stain of my sins.

2 Wash me clean from my guilt.


10 Create in me a clean heart, O God.

    Renew a loyal spirit within me.

11 Do not banish me from your presence,

    and don’t take your Holy Spirit from me.

12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation,

    and make me willing to obey you.

13 Then I will teach your ways to rebels,

    and they will return to you.

 

This passage raises an interesting perspective. “…Make me willing to obey you.” King David, the author, doesn’t promise to obey. He asks for forgiveness, mercy, and grace not because he has changed his ways or even claims to have tried. David asks for another chance with a clean slate. He doesn’t claim to have had a renewed sense of loyalty or faithfulness to God, but asks God to renew it in him. Maybe he realized something I have yet to fully accept. No matter how much I want to obey and remain faithful, chances are I will not. I am bound to mess up. When my mind is focused on God, I am resolute. Other times, I can be less than stalwart. What I need is for the Holy Spirit to keep poking me in the ribs. David asked God to create in him a clean heart. I think I need one, too…something to pray about.

Don’t forget to look for the Lord today. Vicki H.



















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wednesday Word 10.06.2021

The Wednesday Word 4.12.2023

Wednesday Word 5.26.2021