The Wednesday Word 3.16.2022

 

                                                                                                    photo by Cullan Smith

Luke 12:49-51. New Living Translation

49 “I have come to set the world on fire, and I wish it were already burning! 50 I have a terrible baptism of suffering ahead of me, and I am under a heavy burden until it is accomplished. 51 Do you think I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I have come to divide people against each other!

Human nature is a curious thing. We leap at concepts and behaviors that can lead us down a dangerous path with anticipation and excitement, but resist what leads to positivity and peace. I can remember saying to my pastor decades ago, “This Jesus stuff is hard.” Our inclination is often the easier way, the don’t rock the boat way. But, following the simple teachings of Jesus is not so easy. Simple teachings essentially mean that we are intended to love and obey God. Period. We are intended to treat each other with love and compassion and take care of each other. Period. Unfortunately, not everyone in the world sees it this way. Making a change in your life to start putting Jesus’ teaching into daily practice is often met with resistance in the world around you and even in your own mind! That is where the division Jesus was talking about in this passage gets its start. Jesus wanted to burn down the old ways forged by human nature and replace them with God’s way…something to pray about.

Don’t forget to look for the Lord today. Vicki H.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wednesday Word 10.06.2021

The Wednesday Word 4.12.2023

The Wednesday Word 8.30.2023