Wednesday Word 10.20.2021

 

Timothy 3:12-15   New Living Translation

“12 Yes, and everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. 13 But evil people and impostors will flourish. They will deceive others and will themselves be deceived. 14 But you must remain faithful to the things you have been taught. You know they are true, for you know you can trust those who taught you. 15 You have been taught the holy Scriptures from childhood, and they have given you the wisdom to receive the salvation that comes by trusting in Christ Jesus.”

This can be one of the hardest things to comprehend. Why do good people suffer and bad people succeed? I venture the guess that at some point in all our lives, every one of us has had the same thought. It can be maddening when people you know to be unscrupulous get ahead, especially if they have walked over someone you care for to get there. These are the deceivers. Paul says they, too, will be deceived.

This whole premise is problematic for us. First of all, the determination of “good” and “evil” is above our pay grade. I may form an opinion based on observation or hearsay. It is a natural self-defense mechanism to help keep us out of harm’s way. But surely, I will find myself on a slippery slope if I pass judgement. Jesus told us in Matthew 7: 1-3, “Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. 2 For you will be treated as you treat others. The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged. 3 And why worry about a speck in your friend’s eye when you have a log in your own?” That part always stings! To make sure we get the message, Jesus told us in Matthew 5: 43-45, “You have heard the law that says, ‘Love your neighbor’ and hate your enemy. But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike.”

As difficult as it may be, when I am confused by the behavior of others, I must cling to what I have been taught. I know I can trust the wisdom and the direction of my Savior. And I simply have to leave the sorting of good and evil to him…something to pray about.

Don’t forget to look for the Lord today. Vicki H


                                                                                                       photo by Wesley Tingey

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wednesday Word 4.12.2023

The Wednesday Word 10.06.2021

Wednesday Word 5.26.2021